Saturday, October 9, 2010

Get Well Soup

I've recently realized that most of my status updates and tweets are food-related so I took the natural next step -- full-on food blogging! This will be a repository of good food gushings and kitchen experiments. =)

The culinary exploration of the evening is extremely topical, though not tremendously daring. I'm sick with a rather oppressive head cold so I wanted to make chicken-less chicken noodle soup. The goal? Meat-like levels of umami from a bounty of veggies.

Result? Victory!

I started with a base of mushrooms (oo-MA-meee) and onions sauted in olive oil with a little vegan broth. Once those were pleading for mercy I added chopped bok choy. When the bok choy had turned bright green I drowned the veggies in water and dumped in some fresh soft korean noodles. A bit of boiling and bubbling and supper was in the bowl, topped with a generous clump of cilantro and a squeeze of lime!



Needless to say, I'm feeling better already!

Recipe
6 button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 a large yellow onion, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cube vegan broth (I use Rapunzel)
2 bunches of baby bok choy, chopped
4-5 cups water
2 bunches of soft noodles (udon or soba would work here too)
1 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (if that's your thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment