Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chimichurri, Round 4

As anybody who buys bunches of fresh herbs knows, it can be tough to use your herbs while they're still fresh. When I found two full bunches of parsley in my veggie drawer, I knew garnish wasn't going to get me very far. So, with the help of Mark Bittman, I made chimichurri.

Chimichurri is a condiment of Argentine origin typically used as a sauce or marinade for meat (also, tofu!). It's extremely simple to make and delicious.

In my efforts to make use of my chimichurri stash I've made chimichurri on toast, soup with chimichurri, tofu marinated and fried in chimichurri, and, most recently, chimichurri fried rice.



This may be a recency effect, but my favorite so far is the fried rice, which I prepared with black beans and topped with my usual cilantro and lime. The chimichurri is oil-based and quite rich, so the rice has a lot to soak up (I didn't even need to add other oil!) so the flavors get to play around and frying toned down the bright spiciness of the chimichurri, which can be pretty overpowering (in a good way).

Sadly (or fortunately), I only have one serving of chimichurri left! Any suggestions for my last (chimichurri-infused) meal?



Recipes

Chimichurri (a la Mark Bittman)
2c chopped parsley leaves
salt to taste
3 cloves garlic
1/2c. olive oil
2tbs sherry vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1tsp red pepper flakes

Put parsley, salt, garlic, pepper flakes, and half of the oil in a food processor. Blend, adding the rest of the oil gradually, then the vinegar/lemon. Don't refrigerate!


Fried Rice
1 tbsp chimichurri
2c leftover rice (I used basmati)
salt
1 egg

Start with the chimichurri in a non-stick pan. Add rice and blend until totally saucy. Let it sizzle for a while, stirring occasionally. Skootch the rice to one side of the pan and crack an egg into the other side, scrambling with your spatula. Mix egg with rice, salt to taste. Serve with black beans, cilantro and lime for reliable awesomeness.


References
Bittman, Mark (2007). How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food. New Jersey: Wiley Publishing, Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimichurri

No comments:

Post a Comment