Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fill-in-the-blank Snaps

My friends M and S came over for a study session this evening, so I made cookies. Last time I made cookies I stuck with my mum's trusty and delightful oatmeal chocolate chip recipe. Now that I'm feeling more settled and consequently, more adventurous, I decided to to try something new.

As previously mentioned, Mark Bittman is the man, at least when you need basic, so I went hunting in his archives. What caught my eye was a variant (he loves variants) on the ginger-snap. The new spice?


Coriander! Crazy, yes? Go for it? Yes.

Whenever I try a recipe for the first time I try to be conservative in my modifications, so I did everything according to plan, with the exception of using vegan margarine instead of butter (a necessary modification, as I am deathly allergic to dairy) and using more all-purpose flour instead of the 1/2 cup of rice flour I did have in my pantry. The recipe was a cream-things-then-add-flour-y-things type deal, and went smoothly.



The instructions say to glob spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet. Unfortunately, generosity can occasionally lead to lumpcakes. Fortunately, despite aesthetic failings, my little lump-cookies had the consistency of fluffy shortbread (biscuits?) and a subtle, savory, appetizer appropriate flavor and sweetness. I think what I'm trying to say is that I would highly endorse the creation of coriander biscuits, though I definitely enjoyed my coriander-snap-lumps, as did my guests.




Recipe
1.5 sticks butter
1c sugar (I used 1/2 brown, 1/2 white.. another modification.. oopsies!)
2 eggs
0.5c rice flour
1.5c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
Pinch Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment