Monday, November 1, 2010

Lazy Woman's Turon (Banana Egg Rolls)

In an adventurous mood I bought a roll of Filo dough -- an ambition I may well learn to regret! There are just so many of those little sheets in one of those packages. But they do make "fancy" food simpler and pretty much every Filo-y bite I've had has been delicious.

Yesterday I was feeling restless and had a hankering for dessert, so I ad-libbed a few banana egg rolls (turon, to the natives, or so I hear). These guys were surprisingly low-fuss and a novel-yet-not-strange sort of sweet.

Since I'm only one person, I made a very small batch (only one banana's worth), but this is entirely scale-able. Also, I plan to play around with other flavors (cardamom, pineapple, peanut butter), but if you get there first, please let me know how it goes!

Start with your banana(s) peeled and divided both hamburger and hot-dog style.



In a saucer or plate mix 2ish tsps of sugar with a dash of cinnamon and a pinch of salt.



Roll the banana quarters in the sugar, one at a time.



Take a sheet of Filo dough and split it down the middle of the long side. Wrap the banana quarter in one of the Filo pieces either tucking the excess in before wrapping, or at the end. This part is hard to describe and I didn't get pictures, but if you imagine that you are wrapping presents, something acceptable should result.



After you've wrapped all of your banana pieces, fill the saucer with soymilk and bathe each roll thoroughly.

Grease a cookie sheet, place the rolls on the sheet and sprinkle each one with sugar an cinnamon. Bake until gold (15min?) at 360.

No comments:

Post a Comment